Long history and natural beauty!
Margariti is located on the SW end of Thesprotia prefecture, in the area of ancient Eleatida. It disposes many public services, schools, cultural club, sports club and a women’s association. The population is exceeding in nowadays the 1000 habitants, after the “Kallikratis” plan.Its long historical past is beyond any doubt as a lot of monuments(ancient tombs, coins , the etc) indicate. In addition ,a lot of notable people come from Margariti. This place deserves a visit not only for its past but also for its incredible, natural beauty.
Margariti was founded around 1430 by the Venetians and its first residents were Christians though it was settled by Albanians later. After the fall of the Byzantine Empire , the residents were islamized .
In February 1913, Margariti was taken by the Greek army and joined Greece. During that period all village elders of the region gathered and declared that they would resist the incorporation of the area into Greece. At that time the town had a mixed population of Greeks and Cham Albanians until the final expulsion as a result of the Cham collaboration with the Nazi occupation forces.
Almost all Cham Albanian monuments of Margariti were destroyed during World War II.Population movements to the town that occurred from the middle of the 19th century weakened the Muslim elite and led to the gradual Hellenization of former Albanian-majority towns in the area such as Margariti in the 1920s.
During the interwar period, Margariti was among the important towns of the Cham Albanian community located in the coastal region of the Greek part of Chameria and a centre of the Albanian speaking area.
23 February Str. 4, Parga, 48060
Tel. +30 26843 00620 | +30 69776 20392
E-mail : email@example.com